Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cranberry Mandarin Orange Relish

I am so winging this one.  I have various recipes for this relish, so I'll be using them as a guide but not really following any of them.  My grandmother made the most awesome cranberry relish, but when I was a child I didn't like it one bit.  It was way too tart, too choppy, too chunky, too adult.  Now that I eat cranberries like they were m&m's, I can't wait to eat a chunky cranberry relish! 

I hope this turns out well.  Grammie's recipe, as I recall vaguely somewhere in my  mind, had celery in it, and possibly pecans.  I'm not using celery or pecans.  I might change my mind about the pecans; we'll see. 

I'm using one bag of cranberries, 2 clementines (peel and all), and 1/2 cup of sugar.  I will just chop everything up in the food processor.  After Greg wakes up from his nap, that is.  In the meantime, I'll get everything ready.

Wash the cranberries and remove any that are mushy or icky looking.  This bag only had two losers in it!


Beat it, losers.

Then put the cranberries in the food processor, and pulse them until they are chopped up.







When the cranberries were chopped up, I added 2 clementines, washed thoroughly.  The peel goes in too.  I used clementines because there are rarely seeds in them and plus, they are so delicious.  I wish I didn't have to buy a big crate full of them but that's the way they are sold around here.  I try to eat them all; sometimes, I just can't.



Now, this gets a little embarrassing.  After I ran the food processor with the clementines, and then added the sugar and pulsed it all up, I forgot to take a picture.  When I tasted the final result, I got so excited that I dumped it all into a tupperware and put it in the fridge.  I completely forgot to weigh it, for my recipe on NutriMirror, and I forgot to take a picture of it.  It tastes SO GOOD!!  Sweet, tart, awesome.  I hope I still have some left when Thanksgiving rolls around.

While Greg was napping, I was keeping quiet in the other room.  I heard Pedro and Ozzie making their bird noises, and when they got really loud I went in to make sure they were ok.  There in the window sat a cat!  The cat was staring intently through the window into the bird cages. The cat was on our locked screened-in porch.  Very cute black and white tuxedo cat.  I went out to get the cat off the porch, and it got all friendly and rubbed around on my legs.  I scratched his head and he purred, and I felt kind of sad that he's not my cat.  I finally got him off the porch and locked the door again.  I wonder if he got in there while Sadie was outside this morning, while it was dark, and then got locked onto the porch when Sadie came in.  There is also the chance it came in through the part of the screen that has come disconnected from the frame.  How do cats find these things?

No comments:

Post a Comment